Thursday, February 23, 2012

Crushed Pineapple Upside Down Cake, Jar Savers and Canning

I decided to try a new recipe.  We like pineapple upside down cake but, I have never thought that pineapple rings made enough pineapple.  So, when I discovered this recipe in some of my old recipes from family and friends I decided to give it a try.  And, we loved it.  I could have gotten it a little more centered on the plate.  But, it was the first time that I had baked a cake in my cast iron skillet and it was so heavy.  Next time I will get my wonderful hubby to help me dump it onto the plate. 







Crushed Pineapple Upside Down Cake

INGREDIENTS:
2 ¼ cups flour                                   ½ cup shortening
3 teaspoons baking powder              7/8 cup milk
1 teaspoon salt                                 2 eggs
1 ½ cups sugar                                1 teaspoon vanilla

2 ½ cups crushed pineapple, well drained
2 cups brown sugar, packed
½ cup butter

DIRECTIONS:
Sift flour, baking powder, and salt. Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, slightly beaten. Mix well. Add flour and milk alternately. Stir in vanilla last.

Melt butter in heavy pan or skillet. Press brown sugar firmly into this. Place crushed pineapple evenly on sugar. (Slices or cubes may be used.)

Pour cake mixture in large skillet or pan on top of pineapple. Bake at 325 F for 30 to 40 minutes. Cool 5 minutes and turn out on platter.

QUANTITY:
Makes one 10 inch layer cake

FROM:
Unknown

COMMENTS & SUGGESTIONS:

To melt the butter, I put it in the iron skillet and popped it into the oven to melt while I mixed up the cake.

Next time, I think I will use all the pineapple. I had about 2/3 cup or so left over from the 2 cans it took. I am also thinking of substituting pineapple juice for the milk in the cake.

When using crushed pineapple if the pineapple sticks slightly to the pan it can be scrapped out and spread over cake and your cake will still look nice.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Filling the Pantry

This past week, I have also been canning sweet potatoes.  I put up 14 quarts.  I still have a few sweet potatoes left and have found a recipe for sweet potato butter.  I will be trying out this recipe.  Mom and I like pumpkin butter so, I think this will be just as good. 

I got my Jar Savers to use with my Food Saver this past week.  I had already bought 15 lbs quick oats, 5 lbs corn starch, 5 lbs elbow spaghetti, 1/2 pound each of spearmint and peppermint leaves and 25 lbs pinto beans to put up in canning jars.  A friend gave us about 3 lbs red beans that I have also put up.  It has been a real experience.  I had never done this before.  The corn starch has been a real challenge.  Because it is powdered it wants to seep up between the seal and the jar during the vacuum process.  Sister Barton suggested I use rounds of paper toweling or put it in plastic bags in the jar.  I am trying the paper toweling as I wanted to get away from the plastic bags.  We will see how it goes.  The oatmeal was also a challenge, but it seems to be staying sealed now.  A big thanks goes out to Sister Barton and Sister Gross for telling me and showing me about these wonderful devices for preserving our dry food. 

"Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth." -- Ecclesiastes 11:2

No comments:

Post a Comment